We had kids pretty young, so finances have always been something that we have to keep an eye on especially when it comes to spending on extra things. My husband is applying to graduate schools so his current job is not his career, and combined with my part time hours means we have to be very aware of what money we spend!
That being said, we’ve set up a really good saving system so when we do have extra funds we can treat ourselves a little bit! My favorite way to spend on myself is with new clothes, but since I have a budget I really try to stretch every dollar to get the best quality and quantity of items possible.
I’ve been able to score some amazing deals and trends over the past few years following these tips, so I’m excited to share them with you today!
TIPS FOR SHOPPING ON A BUDGET
- Ross, Marshalls, and TJ Maxx: These are some of my favorite places to shop! You can usually find really trendy items for a fraction of the cost, and if you’re lucky you can score designer items for way less. Their home decor sections are usually really good too, especially around the change of season! I found tons of throw pillows and rugs the other day that were half the price of ones at Target.
- Shop Second Hand: Plato’s Closet is one of my favorite second hand shops! The clothes are almost almost high quality and I’ve always been able to find good shoes there. Another place to check is on Facebook yard sale pages or marketplace, I’ve found some amazing deals on electronics especially through Facebook!
- Go with a list: Make a list of specific things you want to find, so you’re not picking up everything as you walk through the store. Some examples could be a black sweater with bell sleeves, a floral print wrap dress, blush sneakers, a pom pom beanie, etc! Having a specific list makes it easier for me to shop quickly and with focus so I’m not wasting time picking up things that I can’t afford.
- Look for dupes: if there is an expensive item that you really love, look around for dupes! Amazon had some great inexpensive options for the $70 fuzzy pullover from Abercrombie from this winter. I just found a pair of Steve Madden sneaker dupes at Payless for less than half of the original price! If you’re set on getting the original item though, wait for a sale to happen!
- Sleep on it: when you find something that you like but it costs more than you want to spend, put it on hold and sleep on it. If you’re still as passionate about it in the morning as you were the day before then it’s a good purchase! Chances are, you’ll wake up the next day with a clearer perspective and not feeling pressured to buy something, so you can make a better decision.
I hope this tips help! I love to shop but I have to stay within our budget and these tips are what have helped me do both!